Saturday, 7 May 2011

Butterfly Cabinet

Recently a good friend and I visited The Natural History Museam. It is one of my most favourite places to be. It slays my boredom, feeds my curiosities, and satisfies my geeky side with its scientific drawings and taxi dermi, its my favourite form of art.

The building itself is absolutely amazing, animals all inset into architechture. It would take a whole day just to take in all the concrete animals crawling around the curves of the archways.




This Stags head is absolutely HUGE. I have always dreamt of having one to hang my necklaces on , but the size of this would mean i'd have to take my treasure trove to completely new levels.
My deer infactuation has really built up some knowledge that I may do a post on, although sometimes I wonder if I should keep this side knitted inside, for fear of too much geekery shining through.


Little Monkey, hugging the border.



All the animals are in different positions around the borders, typifying the species stances. These little birdies were almost lifelike with the different positions, looking as though they were chipping and chattering at one another.


I wont write about every butterfly picture, but I have cut down again and again how many I have uploaded here. To say I got trigger happy would be an understatement. They were so gorgeus and graceful,their huge wingspans enabling them to drift by with ease.










Buttefly nursery!




As close to an outfit post as you'll get from this day im afraid I wasnt feeling photogenic. Blue 50's style dress with watercolour birds. Alot of birds have been entering my life recently, but more on that in a different post.




This is my favourite shot of the day, this beautiful blue butterfly was my favourite,they knew they were beautiful too and just kept teasing us, sweeping by. When shut they are brown and covered in eerie eyes, so to see them pop out to such piercing blue was magical.





I recommend this exhibition to anyone, but then I am biased :) It is heated inside so take a bottle of water and be ready to strip the layers when inside, oh and take lots of memory space and charg:ed batteries for your camera

1 comment:

  1. What great photographs. I'd love some huge antlers to hang my necklaces on, too. xxx

    ReplyDelete